|This article is a stub. You can help ELEX Wiki by .|
This page serves as a basic how to play guide for ELEX.
The early game can be quite challenging for players unused to the ethos and gameplay of other Piranha Bytes games. Many of the enemies are very difficult to kill for low-level players and avoiding them is often the best strategy. Remember, you can always run away and come back to fight another day.
Ranged weapons are particularly useful early in the game as more challenging enemies can be killed by finding a safe place higher up where they cannot reach you and shooting at them from a distance.
Getting a companion quickly is also very helpful and they will help you fight enemies you encounter.
Joining a faction is also helpful, but can take quite some time. Do not depend on joining a faction for early help in the game. Loot, buy or steal whatever weapons and armor you can.
|Action||Key binding||Alternative binding||Notes|
|Move forward||[ W ]||[ ↑ ]|
|Strafe left||[ A ]||[ ← ]|
|Strafe right||[ S ]||[ ↓ ]|
|Move backward||[ D ]||[ → ]|
|Walk||[ Ctrl left ]||[ Ctrl right ]|
|Sprint||[ Shift left ]||[ Shift right ]|
|Jump/Climb||[ Space ]||[ Enter ]|
|Jetpack||2x [ Space ]||[ Enter ]||You must hit the space bar twice to use the Jetpack|
|Sneak||[ Tab ]|
|Quick save||[ F5 ]|
|Quick load||[ F9 ]|
|Look around||Moving the mouse is like moving your head to look around|
|Zoom in||Mousewheel up|
|Zoom out||Mousewheel down|
|Weapon mode||Sheath or unsheath swords, etc.|
|Primary action||Typically hitting your target, or firing a ranged weapon|
|Secondary action||Aiming, for ranged weapons|
|Ranged mode||[ F ]||this is for switching shot mode for ranged weapons like bows and guns|
|Heavy attack||[ E ]|
|Special move||[ Q ]|
|Evade||[ Caps lock ]|
|Target lock||[ X ]|
|Target lock left||[ Z ]|
|Target lock right||[ C ]|
|Reload||[ R ]|
|Quickslot 1||[ 1 ]|
|Quickslot 2||[ 2 ]|
|Quickslot 3||[ 3 ]|
|Quickslot 4||[ 4 ]|
|Quickslot 5||[ 5 ]|
|Quickslot 6||[ 6 ]|
|Quickslot 7||[ 7 ]|
|Quickslot 8||[ 8 ]|
|Quickslot 9||[ 9 ]|
|Quickslot 10||[ 0 ]|
|Map||[ M ]||Display the map|
|Attributes||[ V ]||Jump to the Attributes panel|
|Skills||[ B ]||Jump to the Skills panel|
|Weapons||[ I ]||Jump to the Weapons panel|
|Armor||[ O ]||Jump to the Armor panel|
|Items||[ P ]||Jump to the Items panel|
|Missions||[ L ]||Jump to the Missions panel|
|Select||[ Enter ]||[ Space ]||Menu click|
|Back||[ Backspace ]||Returning to the previous screen|
|Menu action 1||[ Z ]||Whatever the first listed option at the bottom of the screen is|
|Menu action 2||[ X ]||Whatever the second listed option at the bottom of the screen is|
|Menu action 3||[ T ]||Whatever the third listed option at the bottom of the screen is|
|Menu action 4||[ R ]||Whatever the fourth listed option at the bottom of the screen is|
|Next page||[ E ]|
|Previous page||[ Q ]|
Tips and tricks
- The world is permanent, so the same items will be found in the same place every time
- You can sleep any time to heal yourself and replenish mana/mental energy
- Items labelled as "Junk" really are junk and should be sold for the shards
- Many of the items labelled as "Valuable" are also just better junk and can be sold for higher amounts than regular junk items.
- Once read, documents can also be sold. It's really only useful to keep documents which contain important information you may need to refer to later, for example, safe codes, photographs with visual clues and Map pieces.
- Mission-critical items cannot be sold, so there's no chance of accidentally selling something plot-critical
- Companions cannot be killed by enemies. If they appear to be dead, they are simply stunned and will get up once the danger has passed. Note: Jax, depending on plot circumstances, can kill at least one of his companions.