Companions are Characters in ELEX who elect to follow Jax. As Magalan is a dangerous place full of enemies, keeping watch for your chance to locate companions and win their loyalty by completing missions will help you survive.
When accompanying you, companions can participate in conversations you have with other characters and certain dialogue options become unavailable depending on the companion.
Companions will not follow you into an area with an environmental hazard like Radiation or Poison, they'll stay at the edge of that area until you leave it. However, if you attack an enemy inside a hazard area from range while outside it, the companion will approach the enemy within the hazard area to fight in melee.
Companions will automatically join you in combat. Do not be worried about losing XP, kills made by your companion still reward you the full XP for the kill, so having a good companion with you is an excellent way of increasing your overall fighting strength with no penalties.
Only one companion can follow you at a time. At any time you can speak with the Companion to ask their current Approval rating of you (explained below), have them Stay Put at their current spot (or Join you if they were in a Stay Put stance), or to return to the Small Camp to fully leave your party.
Choosing certain dialogue options when conversing with your companion, making decisions and completing missions can impact your relationship with them by either increasing or decreasing their approval of you and change their disposition towards you.
Most Companions have very specific Dislikes. If you do anything in regards to conversation options and quests throughout the game which is something a particular Companion dislikes and they are travelling with you at the time, their Approval of you will be reduced. Conversely, if you do things that are the polar opposite of their dislikes, their approval of you will increase. For these key conversations you can't simply have them Stay Put close to you while you have the conversation; the companion has to be physically out of earshot of the conversation to not get affected by choices in it, which can be quite a distance. The Dislikes of each character will be listed on their specific page.
Currently confirmed disposition levels:
- 0 - 10 [Companion] would like you dead.
- 11 - 30 [Companion] hates you.
- 31 - 50 [Companion] is angry with you.
- 51 - 70 [Companion] doesn't like you.
- 71 - 90 [Companion] finds you a bit odd.
- 91 - 110 [Companion] is neutral towards you.
- 111 - 130 [Companion] respects you.
- 131 - 150 [Companion] likes you.
- 151 - 170 [Companion] admires you.
- 171 - 190 [Companion] idolizes you.
- 191 - 200 [Companion] is a true friend.
List of Companions
- Any of the Characters you've unlocked to be companions (except U5) can be found at the Small Camp Teleporter, then later at Origin in Edan.
- Early in the game, if you are engaging in a distance attack, save on ammunition by targeting and shooting only until your companion joins in. Then let them do the "heavy lifting" until they lose interest. Then start the cycle again.